This watermark, found upon final English draft of the Treaty, in the handwriting of James Busby, is from paper produced by the W Tucker company of Kent, England in 1833. In keeping with the general production methods, this represents a half sheet bearing the manufacturers name, the other half of which would have portrayed a Britannia figurine. This paper came from the stock of James Reddy Clendon, U.S. Consul, who was James Busby's friend and supporter. All available evidence shows that Clendon was present when Busby wrote the final draft and that the location of "final drafting" was at Clendon's Okiato home. During 1839 until 1841 or later, James Clendon sent several despatches or letters to the U.S. Secretary of State in Washington D.C. using W. Tucker 1833 paper. He appears to have been the only individual in New Zealand, at the time, with a supply of this paper stock. He must have transcribed his own copy of Busby's final draft, on the 4th of February 1840, as he sent this exact version to the United States on the 20th of February 1840 (also on W. Tucker 1833 watermarked paper from his personal stock).

Hobson went ashore to Kororareka on the afternoon of the 2nd of February 1840 to view a cottage owned by Busby. Hobson was ashore at Kororareka in the afternoon of the 3rd and met with Busby to finalise the treaty wording. Freeman's despatch that afternoon gave the location of writing as "Kororarika" rather than HMS Herald and Hobson remained ashore until the late afternoon of the 4th of February 1840. Compelling evidence indicates that the final draft was written during the morning/ early afternoon of the 4th of February 1840 at Clendon's house (Clendon's paper was used) by British Resident James Busby (the final draft is in Busby's handwriting) on the 4th of February 1840 (that's the date on the document). At 4 p.m. that afternoon the finished English Treaty draft document was handed to Reverend Henry Williams for translation into the Maori language. On the 20th of February 1840 Clendon sent a copy of the final draft (4th of February 1840 version) to the U.S. Secretary of State. On the 3rd of April 1840, visiting Antarctic explorer, Commodore Charles Wilkes sent this version, which he had copied from Busby's final draft, (officially supplied to Clendon by Hobson) to the United States in his despatch No. 64. The final draft "original" was found again in 1989, after being lost for almost 150-years. It was amongst the papers of Clendon's solicitor, Henry Littlewood.